Monday, October 20, 2008

Halloween Cat

Do you have your very own Halloween cat? I do.
This is Paris. He's about five and is the descendant of a kitten my young friend, Amy, found behind the kitchen at Shasta Elementary back in 2002. That little foundling, Mama,was the source of many wonderful, lovable black cats and favorite pets in Shasta County before Amy's family finally got Mama fixed.
At the same time we adopted Paris, my son adopted Paris' brother Smokey. Little Smokey was the friendlier of the two kittens, completely charming. Unfortunately, he disappeared one day when he was about a year old. It was really sad. We never knew what happened, but that is just part of country living, I guess. We like to think some nice family took him home with them.
When the two little kittens used to get into mischief we never knew which one was the troublemaker, because the only way to tell them apart was a white spot on Paris' belly. We always blamed Paris for the mischief because Smokey was sooooo lovable and sweet he couldn't possibly be guilty of any wrongdoing.

But after Smokey disappeared, all the mischief stopped. So either the troublemaker was Smokey all along, or Paris needs a partner in crime. Paris is the perfect cat, the perfect gentleman. Once my old neighbors even tried to kidnap him, but I kidnapped him back.
Last year, I was Paris for Halloween. I dressed all in black, with cat ears and whiskers. I'm too lazy to go find a picture of that to show you. So I'll just wish you a Happy Halloween! I wonder if we will get any trick-or-treaters at our new house?
And while we're on the topic of the season, my parents inexplicably have gotten two pet turkeys. I've quizzed all the relatives, but I think they do NOT intend to eat them. This guy's almost as pretty as a peacock, don't you think?
Oh and another thing: One of my virtual acquaintances posted this great recipe for Hairy Knuckles (with pictures!) on her blog. They're disgusting little finger-shaped breadsticks. I'm going to make them to take to the Halloween party I'm going to.

9 comments:

pmn34 said...

Indie

It is writing like this that brings me back to The Bitten Apple. Your day to day life is so much more interesting than national politics. Your words are good for the soul...at least mine.

Indie said...

That compliment is good for MY soul. Thanks! :) I was thinking that, unless I wrote something politically provocative, I wouldn't hear from you. Glad to know it's this way instead because the truth is: politics bores me.

pmn34 said...

I do remember some discussions with you about politics but the conversations always changed to more interesting subjects like Texas, Plutarch and life in general. A book I read, The Secret, steered me away from thoughts of politics since so much of it is corrupt, dishonest and self serving. If you have read it and adhere to the Law of Attraction you can appreciate why one would stay clear of such thoughts.

As I recall, while it is soothing to read your words it is so much nicer to see them spoken.

pmn34 said...

Please muster the energy to share your picture of the cat costume

Indie said...

My last landlady gave me The Secret DVD to watch. It felt like a new-age infomercial, but I suppose there can be few objections to gist: to think positively and draw positive things to your life.

Lucy said...

Yay for Paris! I'm glad you kidnapped him back from those people. He makes me want my own cat, except my dog would eat it.

Kristabel said...

Sweet. My halloween cat died a little over a year ago, and I still miss her. Thanks for the nod. I hope you thoroughly enjoy making and grossing out your friends with the severed fingers!

Indie said...

I am sorry about your Halloween cat, Kristabel. I was just thinking Paris is getting to be middle-aged, and this post was really about taking a moment to appreciate him.

I love your blog especially your hilarious keywords! :) I know the fingers will be a big hit. We can munch them while watching zombie flicks and drinking too much beer, how appropriate!!!

Kristabel said...

That sounds like a great time!