Sunday, November 30, 2008

Max, Pick out a Bow!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to admit I did participate after all in the after-Thanksgiving sales today (Saturday). I had to take my son to Eureka anyway, so I went shopping -- feeling pretty guilty after my vitriolic ranting of yesterday.
Especially when I was in Michael's craft store and looking at the sale flyer: "Doorbuster Sale." Stores actually promote the idea of crowds busting down doors to get at the incredible sales, like yesterday when crowds busted the locked door of a Walmart in Long Island, surging over and killing some poor temp who was sweeping the floor (See "Stampeding Shoppers".)

At least I can say I did not participate in any greedy bargain-grubbing that made me forget my manners. And there were no crowds. The only ill-tempered person I encountered was a clerk who clearly hates his job.
My pretty tree
In my defense, I was after materials for my handmade Christmas gift extravaganza. I can't say what I bought because some of the future recipients of these handcrafted items may be reading this blog.

While there, I bought crafty presents for my little nephews and step-grandsons (there are five): an ant farm, a woodburning kit, a musical instrument ("my first recorder"), an art-supply set, and some glow-in-the-dark clay. Passing along the make-your-own-gifts tradition. Unfortunately, everything is made in China. That part is hard to avoid.

To top it all off, I also went to Target. You see, the ceiling of my new cottage is too low to allow my sparkly treetop star so I had to go buy a huge red bow. Also, the treeskirt seems to have vanished in the move, so I needed a new one. I got out of there for less than 15 bucks, which goes to show there was no impulse buying going on. I wonder if I can make it through the rest of the holiday season without ever shopping there again.
My pretty tree with bow
When I got home, I wrapped gifts by the beautiful tree with my big black cat purring beside me.
My big black cat
I was drinking eggnog and brandy and watching The Grinch. My favorite part: when the Grinch wraps up Cindy Lou Who in wrapping paper in the back room of the post office, and he turns to his dog and says, "Max, pick out a bow!"

7 comments:

Ernie Branscomb said...

Allow me to be the first to say, "nice tree, and nice bow".

Just wanted to say I like your posts, and that I stopped by amidst the thousands of others that check your blog daily and don't bother to say hello and say thanks for your great posts.

My Grandkids loved your mushroom pic's.

I’m glad that you didn’t trample anybody while shopping. And Merry Christmas!

Indie said...

Ernie, what a nice thing to say..."amidst the thousands of others that check your blog daily." It's more like "tens of others," but thank you so much! The feeling is mutual; your posts are my daily reads too.

I'm glad your grandkids liked the mushroom pics. I'm still trying to learn the very basics of IDing them. Last night at work, my boss's girlfriend told me the name of one of my mushrooms, so I'll have to go add that to the post.

Thanks for the tree compliment too! I'm almost embarrassed by how happy it makes me to come home to its twinkling lights. School starts back up tomorrow and all the holiday pleasure will come to a grinding halt, in favor of final projects, etc. That's why I jumped into Christmas early.

Merry Christmas!

a school of French Impressionism said...

Gorgeous tree! Reminds me of the traditional Danish Christmas we had when I was a kid. Both parents were born in Denmark. The only thing missing is the candles. We always had to have candles or 'it just wasn't Danish'. Luckily the five gallon bucket of water ready behind the door never had to be used. We had the traditional meal with a peeled almond hidden in the mashed potatoes and we circled the tree singing Danish carols before we opened the gifts underneath.

og nu hav Jule agin og Jule in va vil til Polska --"and now it is Christmas time and Christmas time will last til Easter."

Indie said...

Thank you, Headwrapper!! You really got what I was going for.

Your almond in the mashed potatoes sounds like the almond in the rice pudding Swedes eat on the morning of Christmas eve. If you get the almond, you're going to get married.

Thanks for sharing the customs. It's fun to know where our traditions come from.

God jule! (Merry Christmas!)

Lucy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy said...

On Serbian Christmas, we have a chesnitsa which is a loaf of bread with a coin baked into it. We pass the bread and break off hunks until someone finds the coin. Whoever does is going to have good luck for the following year. I hadn't realized lots of cultures have hidden treats in other foods! I have been laughing about the "Max, pick out a bow" ever since I heard you say it. Thank you for that.

Indie said...

Lucy, I like the sound of that.

I once baked a cake for a baby shower, a cake that had charms hidden in every piece. Each charm meant something different (love, luck, money, etc.). I can't remember where I learned about it or what kind of custom it was.