Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mushroom Odyssey II

Lucy and I went on a hike today to find the Mill Creek Falls in McKinleyville. Jack's directions, "Turn right on Turner and roll your window down and listen," were perfect. Here is the lovely waterfall:
It's so peaceful to sit on the rocks overlooking this falls. The crashing sound drowns out all your worries.
On the way, we saw seven more types of mushrooms and I photographed them "for Angela." But the truth is, I'm becoming a mycophile myself, at least today.

Now comes the fun part: identifying them. I really need a little field guide with beautiful, color photos.
This one is maybe a paxillus involutus. Or is it a chrysomphalina aurantiaca?
Could this one on the right be a chanterelle of some kind? This one is a little blurry but it's my favorite. I like its narrow stalk and flat top.
I really wanted this one to be a Dead Man's Foot, but I don't think it is.
I know it's hard to tell in these photos, but this one was pretty big, about eight inches tall.Maybe I will just have to admire them for their beauty and continue in ignorance of their scientific names. I'm overhwelmed by the great number of varieties found in California.
If only I could find a glow-in-the-dark Jack'o'lantern mushroom or the intriguing-sounding Stink Horn, my life would be complete.

6 comments:

Lucy said...

Those pictures turned out so pretty! What a fun day.

Kym said...

I love those trumpet shaped ones!

Anonymous said...

Hi again K! Looking at the mushroom photos of yours it just came to mind that the family I married into is really fond of mushrooms, too. Several times during the year my b-i-l calls his brother and then they'll 'go in the mushrooms' how they call it here! They know which ones to pick and which ones not to pick and actually my m-i-l and my boyfriend cook very good dumplings to go along with it. I don't like cleaning them stupid mushrooms before cooking/frying, my daughter doesn't like the taste and I just want the dumplings anyway. Handmade ones. *yummy* Now you made me hungry in the morning already - gotta go have breakfast ;-P TTYL, R.

Indie said...

R, I am so envious of anyone who knows how to pick the edible ones!

I am still learning the very basics of identification. It's hard; for every edible one, it seems there is a deadly poisonous look-alike.

Still, Angela and I pored over her mushroom book yesterday and figured out a couple of them. No edible ones though. For now it's just a hobby, like bird-watching.

Anonymous said...

K, here we have places where we can take our haul to and the pro's double check the mushrooms for us, before we really start frying them. But somehow... an uncertainty remains *lol* We're still alive, so they all did a good job. Now you know what you're gonna do once on vacation in Germany: going to the woods with my two men, collecting mushrooms! They day will come! You're gonna come visit me, you just don't know yet! ;-P R.

Indie said...

R, now that sounds like a good idea, having a pro check the mushrooms you gather.

And I dream of coming to Germany one of these days, and not for the mushrooms or old buildings, but to see a dear friend. But I'll bring my hiking boots...:)