Friday, November 14, 2008

Seven

(Calliope and the Seven Sages)

Jack tagged me a couple of days ago, but I've been at a loss to think of more than a couple of things that people may not know about me. My whole blog is overflowing with self-revelations (see "Confessions"), so what can I say without repeating myself? But Jack's my boss, so I have to do what he tells me to do. So here goes.
I used to be a notorious bookworm.
My dad used to get mad at me for reading on vacations instead of looking at the scenery. I used to read under the covers at night with a flashlight, a habit my parents blame for my very poor eyesight now. I used to buy old Gothic paperbacks by the dozens from thrift stores and throw them away when I was done, like kleenexes. When it came time to pick a college major, I was equally interested in psychology and anthropology, but just for kicks I took a look at the literary studies major. Choosing to major in Lit was a guilty pleasure for me, since it seemed like a glorified book club. The choice backfired, though. It stole some of the pleasure, and all of the escapism, from reading. Now, getting myself to read a book requires self-discipline.
I was a total Bohemian hippie between the years of 1985-1989.
I missed the entire big-hair era, thank God, in favor of the natural look. I lived alternately like a beach bum, a street urchin or a Grateful Deadhead. I have seen no fewer than 50 Dead shows. I kept a daily journal all through those years and it makes me laugh out loud to read it. The adventures were many, as you can imagine.
I love to swim.
When I was in grade school, we had a swimming pool, and I used to spend hours in it, practicing the dead man's float or imagining I was a captured mermaid forced to swim in this little pool. The fantasy was inspired by the TV show, Man from Atlantis. As an adult, nothing made me happier than being at the beach. Through much of my adulthood, I collected mermaid art. I was a mermaid for Halloween once, with seashells in my hair and a sparkly, scaly dress I designed myself. Sadly, no photos exist of it.
I have multiple sclerosis.
I got sick in 2000 and was diagnosed in 2001. Pre-MS I was a very serious go-getter with seemingly endless stamina. But this disease makes me know my energy limits and manage my stress. The process toward diagnosis was life-altering and contained some very scary moments, but I've been doing great ever since. My disabilities are blessedly few and visible mostly to myself.
I play guitar and sing.
I have a rare and gorgeous Daion 12-string acoustic guitar that I bought for a boyfriend in a tiny music shop in Texas in 1983. We broke up before I gave it to him, so I carried it around for years imagining I might learn to play. In the aforementioned hippie years, I spent considerable time honing my music skills. During the height of my musical years, I loved to play Pink Floyd, Neil Young and Eric Clapton covers. After that, I played lullabyes and children's songs. I hadn't played for years when recently I became inspired by Gillian Welch.
I make the most delicious cornbread you have ever tasted.
Seriously, over the years, I've outdone even my own mother, who is a fantastic Southern cook. I'm convinced that my cornbread was instrumental in winning my husband's heart in the beginning. I will gladly share the recipe if there are any cornbread enthusiasts out there.
I can write in Elven.
In 9th grade, my nerdy friend and math tutor, Chris, and I taught ourselves to write in Elven script, from J.R.R Tolkein's Silmarillian. We learned this phonetic writing purely for the purpose of writing notes in school. In my journal, which I have been keeping in one form or another for 30 years, I reverted to Elven when I had to write something of utmost secrecy. I can read and write it to this day.

Wait, I almost forgot that I have to tag some people. But who do I know who hasn't done this yet?
Lucy
Eric
And, because s/he hasn't responded yet, I'm tagging Heraldo again

12 comments:

Jack said...

We should do the entire McK Press is "Eleven."

Ernie Branscomb said...

Okay, I'll bite, I'm always a sucker for a good recipe.

I didn't know those seven things, they made me both happy and sad, as any life worth living would. My congratulations and my sympathy.

Kristabel said...

Seven fascinating things, Indie. I love your description of magical swimming. You and I have a lot in common, and I think we should get together, drink a lot of wine and talk about them at Jack and Raven's dinner party.

Let's just schedule it for them and invite ourselves, ok?

Indie said...

Sounds like an excellent plan, Kristabel. Jack keeps talking about a retro cocktail party (for which we will need cocktail dresses) he plans to have in the future. Martinis or maitai so quite well with mermaid stories, I'm pretty sure.:)

Indie said...

Thanks, Ernie. I've been doing great for so long, that it's possible to imagine this is how it will continue to be for many years to come.

I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

lemond said...

You forgot to mention that you have the voice of an angel and rainbow colored musical notes fly off the strings of your 12 string.
Much love,
your Aries friend from "the hippie days"

Indie said...

Lemond, only a very few people know about those rainbows!

lemond said...

I am thankful that I accidently found your blog. I had been thinking of you recently while playing guitar. Wishing I had coppied the notebooks of music you had taken the time to write while I was struggling to remember more than the first chord of Cry To Me.

Indie said...

Lemond, you inspired me to play my guitar last night, for the first time in about a month. :)

Songs of the moment: "Orphan Girl" by Gillian Welch, "Soak up the Sun" by Sheryl Crow as well as her version of "Sweet Child of Mine."

You should watch the video of "Soak Up the Sun" on YouTube and see if it does not capture our lives from those days perfectly!

Kym said...

Indie, My dad has MS but his is primary progressive. I'm having a hard time watching my once athletic father struggle in a wheelchair. But relapsing remmitting has so much research going into it that a cure or at least an effective treatment sometimes seems right around the corner.

Indie said...

Kym, I am so sorry to hear about your father. Primary progressive is relentless, and for some reason, I hear about men getting that version more often than women.

Mine is relapsing-remitting, and I've only ever had two relapses (that I was aware of), one in 1999 and one in 2000.

I don't take any medication. I do credit flax seed oil for much of my good health. I take it every day, eat it on salads, etc. I tell myself I'm greasing up my brain so it will run like a well-oiled machine. :)

It would probably be very good for your dad too.

Kym said...

I'll tell him but....