Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Algebra of Fun

Lovely, wonderful holiday party last night. I almost didn't go because I had so much to do, but that was a lame cop-out because I am on page 20 of my paper! I clearly had earned a night out. I'm in grave danger of turning into a fuddy-duddy, and the cure is so obviously: more holiday parties!
It was one of those rare parties where you walk in and are so happy to see every single person that you don't know who to talk to first. A place where everyone there is nerdy in the same way you're nerdy -- what a relief!
At parties, there is a very reliable calculation for measuring fun. The equation goes like this: the fewer photos I take and the less hors d'oeuvres I eat, the more fun I am having. I didn't take a single photo, and I ate one piece of bell pepper dipped in peanut sauce. I must have gotten 20 hugs (that surely figures in).
All the people who taught English 100 had spent the day reading portfolios and they were celebrating being done with that marathon task. One person was even celebrating having turned in her thesis. I was celebrating page 20.
There was a little of this, but don't worry, it wasn't me.

And Furthermore
Glorious moon! Which Kym over at the Redheaded Blackbelt writes is the brightest it's been in 15 years and won't be this bright again for another eight years! Also, the icy chill that has blown in from Alaska feels wonderful and crisp. I wonder if we really will have snow?
Photo from chillnite.com.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Dear Indie,

Well, that sounds like just The Night you *needed* to bask within, after such a hectic stretch of intensity: It sounds like you were loved by friends and the magic of the night :) I am smiling for you. . . . May the rest of your paper arrive into your mind and through your fingertips with grace and ease!

In Joy,
Kristen

Kym said...

I know what you mean about the fun at the party being measured in the amount of food you didn't eat (and the hugs you got.)