Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Prefer Briefs

Back Down
The most defining feature of the last couple of days is that I threw my back out. I unfold slowly, creakily, when I get up, like rusty lawn furniture. As I write this, I am leaning against a glorious heating pad, set at its hottest setting.

Another Bite Outta the Elephant
Today, I gave my presentation in my Fundamentals of Research class. One more thing out of the way. Everything went just fine, quite smooth. I felt proud of my website and thesis proposal, and impressed with those of my colleagues. It never fails to amaze me how 10 people can interpret the same instructions 10 different ways.

Working Hard or Hardly Working
Last night, there was a Very Important Study Session at my house. Unfortunately, it also involved beer and four people who do love to talk. A little bit of studying even got done.
Cute Things
My cat, Paris, stoutly refused to budge when I made the bed. Even after I made him up in it, he stayed put. He is an expert in the area of comfort. Paris is my comfort guru.
Pretty Things
Pretty Christmas decorations in my house make me feel content just looking at them. That's my grandfather in the picture, circa 1922.
Working Hard or Hardly Working
Last night, there was a Very Important Study Session at my house. Unfortunately, it also involved beer and four people who do love to talk. A little bit of studying even got done.
Funny Things
My classmate Lauren found this hilarious Calvin and Hobbes strip about writing.
Sublime Things
Last but not least, I have a new Gillian Welch album, Hell Among the Yearlings. I haven't decided yet whether I could ever love it as much as Revival. If you haven't heard her, find some and listen immediately. She feels like an artist out of another time.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Sounds like True Livin', Indie :) ... Oh, and thanks for the music recommendation (I delight in finding new artists to get lost into!). . . .

In Joy,
Kristen

Indie said...

Kristen, try "Revival." Every song on the album is a jewel. But remember, I like old-fashioned things and am especially fascinated with the '30s. Did you see O Brother Where Art Thou? She was one of the voice overs for the sirens doing laundry in the river, singing "Go To Sleep, You Little Baby." I hope you enjoy it!