Thursday, December 25, 2008

Toys from Memory Lane

From my childhood, I can only remember a few toys that I just had to have for Christmas.
I traditionally asked for a doll and a set of toy dishes because, apparently, domestic harmony was my highest dream. I wanted a Susy Homemaker Easy-bake Oven really bad but we couldn't afford it. It's OK though, because I used my friend's, and it was crap. I much preferred to make little pies or little tortillas with my mom. She would say, "That is just your size!"
We were a family of very modest means. I never had more toys than could fit into a cardboard box in the closet.
Baby Tender Love was soft like a real baby. She is still in my parents' garage, although her fingers have been nibbled off by someone (not me).
Shenanigans was a great board game; it was like a little county fair. I wore that game out. It was when I first learned what a tiddly-wink was.
Quick Curl Francie came with a little curling iron, and her hair was made of tiny wires so it held in place for the amazing, gravity-defying beehive/Star Trek alien-woman hairdos of the day.
I seriously wanted to be Malibu P.J.; she was so pretty. She was a hand-me-down someone gave me, and she only had one leg. But this was no problem since I dressed her exclusively in evening gowns, and the gallant Malibu Ken carried her on all their dates.

These were their wheels. My Aunt Ruthie and Uncle Rip gave me this convertible and pop-up tent one year, 1971?
There was an entire set of handmade Barbie clothes my aunt NN sewed for me. All I remember is the yellow calico drop-waist dress.

Don't laugh: Flatsy was really cool. And bendy.
Dawn , at only half the size of Barbie, was almost too tiny to dress up.
Kiddles came in a little locket. Man, they were cute!
These glass balls on a string, called Clackers, were later recalled as very dangerous. But I liked them, and mine never exploded.
I had an unbelievably cool green bike with a sparkly banana seat.
Tinker Toys
My dad's brief stint as an encyclopedia salesman produced a set of World Book Childcraft Encyclopedias. My favorite volumes were Stories and Poems, Make and Do, and People to Know (biographies of inventors). I once got spanked for drawing extra illustrations in Stories and Poems.

There was also a great book my sister gave me called Pop-up Hide and Seek. I remember it had the word huge in it and I was pronouncing it [hug]. I knew that wasn't quite right but I didn't know what else to do.

I loved the fuzzy teddy bear that she gave me until it literally fell apart. I named the bear Georgie ("Hey there Georgie Girl!").
I inherited a pink wicker baby carriage from my sister but ruined it by leaving it out in the rain. I never understood how rain could be so destructive. There were lots more of Sissy's hand-me-downs, such as a sock monkey and her old Lincoln Logs.
And there was an Etch-a-Sketch and a loom for making pot holders; both were toys that my parents brought me when I was in the hospital with pneumonia.

Other than that, all remember is a green plastic turtle when I was really little and which continued to be a bathtub toy for many years.

While we're on the subject of memories, does anyone else remember candy cigarettes?

9 comments:

beachcomber said...

Flatsy Flatsy shes flat and that's that! HA...we must be about the same age. I had both Clackers and Kiddles. I'm sure we had Shenanigans..did you have Mousetrap, too? My sister had Tressie....she had one chunk of hair in the middle of her hairdo that pulled out to be at least a foot long. You wound it back up by turning a key in her belly button. Ooooo oooo Puppetrina.

Indie said...

Oh I had forgotten the jingle for Flatsy! And yes, I remember Tressie, my neighbor had her. I thought she was Chrissie. Her hair was auburn. It was fun reminiscing about this!

Kym said...

I had a Tressie doll too but she was blond and you pressed her bellybutton to get the hair to retract.

Kym said...

I hate the idea of candy cigarettes but I loved the flavor--the white hot sweetness--mmm

Indie said...

I forgot to add that I gave Baby Tender Love a haircut because her bangs were in her eyes. Then they forever stuck straight up like spikes. That was always the problem with dolls: their hair didn't grow. Tressie must have been an attempt to remedy that!

EkoVox said...

Clackers....total girl toy from when I was in 8th grade. The boys could never make them work.

Do you remember the Suzy Homemaker toy that made candy called Incredible Edibles? I always wanted that machine.

beachcomber said...

"Do you remember the Suzy Homemaker toy that made candy called Incredible Edibles?"

Were those like Creepy Crawlers that you could eat?

Indie said...

Creepy crawlers! I always wanted that. Someone I know had it though, so I got to make a few bugs. Being edible would have been a nice touch...

Indie said...

I was really good at Clackers. :)