Thursday, January 22, 2009

A New Day

I did it!

I lived through the teaching experience this morning.

College classroom, 30 expectant, intelligent individuals seated in rows, and me standing in the front of the room, talking, guiding, winging it.

I think I did ok, I really do. Floating around in my head was all of chapter one, a linguistic overview. But instead of a structured lecture, I let them talk in groups of two or three about the results of their linguistic autobiographies. When we came back together, I let the results of their discussions segue into each of the points I wanted to tell them about. It was smooth, and the time flew by.

Teaching is kind of exhilarating!
A Close Encounter with Benevolent Mother Nature
Slug eggs. Ew! (from Wikipedia)
Then, in the afternoon my son and I went to work in the community garden in McKinleyville for a couple of hours. My son planted two fruit trees and weeded a row of strawberries. I got lessons on pruning roses and fruit trees from a master gardener.

We saw steam rising up from the composting grass clippings and touched its amazing warmth. We encountered earthworms, grubs, centipedes and slug eggs! We caught a bright green tree frog. We heard tree frogs and the distant sea. We brought home fresh collards to have with dinner.

I hope he learns to love this place, because I certainly do.

Something Delicious

Finally, I want to recommend to you, if you haven't already tried it, Papa Murphy's Mediterranean De-lite Pizza. It has a super-thin crust like a cracker, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, feta cheese and way too much garlic (yum!). Seriously delicious for nights when you're too tired to make dinner.

P.S. Sorry to make you think of slug eggs and pizza in the space of a minute. Are you ok?

12 comments:

Kristen said...

**heeheehee** Yeah, I survived the dualistic references, dear Indie :)

I am thrilled that your teaching went and felt *natural* to you :) Way to rise to the occasion ... or let the occasion rise out you!

BTW, I explained myself in a blog post just now ... and I will be writing you an email after dinner, in which I speak of things more personally.

I love You,
Kristen

cecilia said...

Yep, I could just about stomach it:).
Also happy teaching went well!!!

Kato said...

Sounds like a week of good 'cultivating' experiences! I didn't even know McKinleyville had a community garden...

Anonymous said...

Well, that's what I thought (not having had breakfast yet)... slug eggs and pizza... what a yummy combination *lol* Haven't been here in a while... Hope you're okay, K? R.

Anonymous said...

I was actually wondering if slug eggs might be the next "poor man's caviar." Somehow, I doubt it.

Indie said...

Eww! lol!

Indie said...

Kato, one of the local churches has this beautiful garden, run by a gifted master gardener. I joined the church last fall, just in time for the most amazing, bounteous harvest. Thousands of pounds of produce to needy families last year. We're stoked to have a tiny part in it.

steviewren said...

It sounds like you are going to be a great teacher. I've always loved the ones that could roll from what their students had to input straight into a teaching mode, which keeps the whole room involved and interested.

Indie said...

Steviewren, me too! That's just the kind of teacher I want to be. I don't know if I'll always be able to pull it off, but lucky for me, it was a great, interesting group of people. I'm looking forward to teaching again Tuesday!

Indie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ang said...

of course you did well! Your amazing. Tonya told me she has a class with you.

Indie said...

Yes, Tonya and I have a chance to get all fired up together over the wording of 19th and 18th century slavery law. It's enough to make your skin crawl.