Friday, January 2, 2009

Two Things to Share

The first thing:

I am setting out to read a novel! (Joe, if you're reading this, you inspired me with your great stack of novels.) I went to Borders and bought a book that's been intriguing me there on the shelves for some time, Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen.
The back cover touts it as a "colorful, headlong tale of a Depression-era circus" and tells me I will "get lost in the tatty glamour of [the] meticulously researched world" and that the novel transforms "a glimpse of Americana into an enchanting escapist fairy tale."

I can't even begin to express how right-up-my-alley that all sounds.

If it's good, I'll write a review.

And another thing:

I found this beautiful picture last night while looking at online photos of the Swedish countryside in winter. This is a Pine Grosbeak, the photo was taken by Stafan Oscarsson and I found it at NatureTreks, a British travel site.
I love this photo so much; I wish it could have been on my Christmas cards. Nothing is prettier than a red bird in the snow. In Texas, there are cardinals, and I truly miss their startling beauty.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Dear Indie,

Wow, that is a stunning photograph! Enjoy a luxurious read today :)

In Joy,
Kristen

Big City Poz said...

From Amazon review: "grifters, roustabouts, workers, cooch tent, rubes"

Oh, Circus for Elephants sounds great! Please post a review when you've finished.

Lucy said...

Hey, let me know how the book is! It seems like something I would like to read!

Indie said...

Lucy, you can borrow it when I'm done if you like.